If there is one thing they keep drilling into us at class this week, it's that the Japanese don't do things the wrong way they just do them in a different way. This was clear to us when Tim, Zoe and I arrived at the airport and stepped outside and saw everyone driving on the left side of the road. We are always so quick to say "they drive on the wrong side of the road" but who is it really wrong to? The more and more we get out in town and do simple daily tasks like walking in and out of a building or turning the water on in the bathroom sink I keep reminding myself it's not wrong, just different.
Imagine everything that you do at home that requires right handed decisions...not only driving, but opening a door, turning a key, walking on a sidewalk, etc. Typically we would turn to the right or stay on the right side. Here in Japan everything is the opposite and I'm sure it will take me a few months if not longer to get the hang of it. You walk to the left of other on the sidewalk and ride escalators standing on the left side. When entering a building you open the left door to enter or exit. The faucets here in kitchens and bathrooms turn on by pushing the handle down not lifting it up. There are so many examples I could go on for hours and it seems that I notice a new one each day! So is there a right way and a wrong way or is it just different?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment