Monday, December 21, 2009

Key West, Florida

Monday morning our ship pulled into Key West, Florida. For those of you that don't know the story, Tim and I were supposed to get married here until Carnival through a wrench into our 2006 cruise wedding plans aboard the Carnival Glory. Of course, everything worked itself out and we were married aboard the ship before it left it's home port of Port Canaveral, FL. so I was anxious to see what we may have missed out on. We pulled along the pier of the U.S. Naval Base Key West and took a short trolley ride to their city center, Duval St. I have to admit, the island was cute and definitely had it's little quirks, but I can honestly say I am happy with the way our wedding turned out. For the past three years I have been wondering if we missed out on our dream wedding in tropical paradise. Key West, in my opinion, is not so tropical. It's decor reminds me of Charleston or Savannah and honestly I found it to be a bit dirty.

We strolled Duval streets, browsed the shops and stopped along a few bars on the way to our main sight of the day, the Southernmost point of the U.S. I think I can speak for everyone in our group that the mile and a half walk (there and back) to see it was a bit overrated, we should have taken a taxi...it would have given us more time to sightsee during the day. We stopped for a couple of pictures and some ice cream, then headed back to our drop off point to get picked back up and taken over to the ship to leave for the day. Overall, I'm glad I got to visit Key West, it's one more places checked off of my list of places to see, but I don't think I'll have any plans of going back any time soon!
Me, in front of one of the shops, posing with a statue made out of sponges pulled from the coast of Key West.

Only a small portion of the group at the Southernmost point of the U.S. Annie, Mom, me, Rachael, Dustin, Dad and Brandon.

No comments:

Post a Comment